Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Weird and the Cool

There is a time for therapy. There is a time for healing a relationship. And there is a time for establishing a DMZ with Marine enforcers. (I note that the story comes from an Australian newspaper, but is about a Mexican couple ... may not be 100% accurate. The Diario de Yucatan did have an article about a Juan Espinosa being jailed for the attempted murder of his ex-wife, Irma Contreras, but it has expired and isn't cached anywhere I could find.)

Some people shouldn't have guns. Some people shouldn't have kids. This woman should have neither. Fortunately, she's the one who paid for it, and not her son. I would like to point out that this took place in Minnesota and not somewhere in the South, proving that redneck is a state of mind, not a geographical location.

I don't *always* follow the rules about setting off fireworks. Sometimes, I'm not as careful as I ought to be, although I've never seriously injured anyone else or caused a lot of property damage. But maybe that's because I never made a habit of letting them off inside the house. Don't do that; it turns out to be an amazingly bad idea.

Want to know how to measure the speed of light? Sure, we all do. But many of us think that we don't have the equipment that we need. Well, it turns out that you can do apretty decent job of measuring it with nothing more than chocolate chips and a microwave. (And a ruler. And a plate. And a calculator. Or a lot of paper.) If anyone needs a science fair project, here it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home